Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Social Experiment

Back when I was in high school and in college, I used to tell people that I either intend to study or already am studying "mass communication".

And their reaction was always similar. It was either "oh following your father's footsteps eh?" or "So I'm gonna see you on TV la?" or somewhere along those lines.

Not that I found it insulting or anything but when I came back to Malaysia this time around, I thought I try something different.

It all began with the trip I took down to Gold Coast. I knew that I was going to be asked that million dollar question a lot, considering that all my dad's friends were there and it was the easiest conversation starter.

So after much deliberation, I decided to go with "Communications and Politics" or "Journalism, Public relations and Politics".

And as expected I got a very different reaction.

People were like "wow! that's a handful" or "so you want to be a politician eh?".

However, what I noticed was that it gave me more credibility as oppose to just saying mass communication.

I don't if it is because I'm doing 2 specializations and 1 sub major or simply because the word "politics" catches them off their guard.

This is something that I have been experimenting with over the past 4 months and I have to admit to seeing a difference in people's perception towards me.

Whatever it may be, I hope that I am judge in the future by not what degree I have but by what I have to offer.

(The Living Legend still has not watch The Inception)

No comments: