Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Expanding My Social Media Footprint

As the title says, I have been in the process of expanding my 'footprint' on the social media landscape.

I know I am probably a couple years left behind in this but recently I decided to sign up for a Linkedin account after months of great reluctance.

For those who don't know what Linkedin is, it is basically a social networking tool that is designed for college students, recent graduates and current executives to keep in touch with your colleagues, former colleagues, friends and etc. It also facilitates in a way where it acts as your "online resume".





For instance, think of anybody you know right now (somebody famous preferably as not everybody has an account) and google their name. In my case, I googled Donald Trump, and there will be of course a few things that appear but amongst one of the many things will be his Linkedin account. From there I can automatically see what school he went to, what is his exact designation in his organization and etc.

Of course, much like Facebook, Linkedin allows you to keep your profile private, therefore only leaving it open to the groups, companies or people who you are connected to.

The reason why I finally jump on the train was because I felt that as a soon-to-be university graduate, it is important for me to keep in touch with my former colleagues, organizations I used to work for and potential organizations I would love to work for, in a more formal manner.

While I do follow a lot of them on Facebook and Twitter, those mediums act more as a casual atmosphere. Linkedin, however, is capable of showing my qualifications, to my previous experiences.

For those who are interested please get connected with me at http://www.linkedin.com/in/wongcheemun

(The Living Legend is happy he finally reach double digits in his connections)

No comments: