Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lucky

Today marks the end of week 5 of my 12 week semester. Can you believe it? I officially have 3 and a half semesters before I graduate.

When I first accepted the offer to study at RMIT, December 2012 seemed so far away but today I am worrying about the prospect of graduating so soon.

Today, my tutor asked "what do Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet and all the other 'great men' of our times have in common?"

The answer: "They were at the right place at right time".

I don't totally disagree with that answer, as a matter of fact, I think that is the only plausible answer to it.

It may be true that Bill Gates attended Harvard before dropping out to start Microsoft or Warren Buffet has an MBA from an Ivy League Institution, but they all were 'lucky' in the sense that their timing was impeccable.

Will or is 2012 the right time for me to graduate? Will 'the economy' suite me then?

It's not like I'm worried about getting a job because I'm not. I'm more worried about the idea that I will join the wrong generation and be stuck at a particular type of class for the rest of my life.

Joining the job market during a bad economic state is as good as having no job, well at least that's how I feel about it. That's because you have to slug it out so much more harder and the rewards you reap are only a portion of what you can potentially get.

So the question remains if 2012 is the right time for any graduate to go out.

Will accounting still be the in thing by then? Will the UK and Australian work visa & permanent residency respectively be any more valuable than the Malaysian citizenship?

I suppose it's safe to say, all I want to do is avoid the bunch of group just before my generation that studied computer science and never prevailed.

(The Living Legend will be slogging it out at the RMIT Library tomorrow)

No comments: