Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Measure of Success

The term "successful" is a term more frequently used nowadays with either career or academic achievements.

In my short lifetime so far I have managed to seen what the meaning of a successful academic achievement actually means. What used to be getting straight As has since morphed into finding something that you love to do or something that is said to be and I quote "good for your future".

As I grow older, the other definition for the term approaches and I personally feel like the term has lost its value.


People used to study because they wanted to learn a trade or a skill that would be useful to them for their future. Today, I come from a generation of outstanding academic results based and aesthetic value. "Aesthetic value? What do you mean?". Frankly speaking, I did not achieve straight As nor do I study something that promises a million dollar future and while my opinion might be bias, I find that society today puts too much pressure into achieving results as oppose to learning.

The pressure comes from many sources such as teachers who understandably are evaluated through how well their students perform but the worst of all comes from your peers and family.

The idea of being asked "what university do you attend?" or "How well did you do in the last exam?" goes way beyond curiosity to scrutiny.

I'd admit that I am guilty of those to acts above, which is why I think it should stop. Stereotyping people based on their education level or quality especially among friends should end.

In Australia many of the TAFE's graduate (vocational education) are earning way more than university graduates. Are you going to say that TAFE is ineffective now?

You are not as good as your education but rather your education is as good as you.

(The Living Legend is disgusted with how mother nature has been reacting towards two beautiful countries)

No comments: