Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

When Races Collide

If I were to ask you what was your first perception of Limkokwing (The University, not the man himself), what would you say? Probably something like there are a lot of blacks right? or probably I heard people there are really weird right?

6 months ago, I would have probably told you yeah there are but after 6 months of studying and hanging around at Limkokwing, I have learnt to mix around so much more than I have before and I am proud to say that my circle of friends have expanded not only around Malaysia, but gloabally as well. Today, I have friends from Kazakhstan, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Indonesia, Singapore, Uganda, Iran, Oman, Yemen, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Japan, Tanzania, China and even a lecturer from Mexico!

Can you believe it? Before this, the most "distanced" friend I had was Mr. Kenneth Lau who moved to Melbourne, Australia. Kinda sad I know but I always preferred to stick around with my "circle of friends" (Who I still love btw, you know who you are).

But even so, some of you might ask me aren't those under developed countries or so on? I say maybe but who are you to judge the person by where they come from? As the saying goes "Don't judge a book by its cover".

The common misconception towards foreigners has gone to a point where I have been receiving e-mails on how you should be aware of this "bunch" of people who will rape you or muder you but I'm there 5 days a week and with the exception of one or two, they are actually quite nice people.

I believe, we as Malaysians should start opening up our mind set and stop pre-judgement or at least give a fair judgement towards foreigners no matter where they come from.
(The Living Legend is proud to be a part of this globalisation system)

No comments: